My Business Background and Experience
Before starting a full-time Technical Writing business in
2000, I worked in various roles during my career.
Electronics Development Engineer
- Concorde flight computer design team, Marconi
- Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough;
electronics engineer on early fly-by-wire avionics,
Hunter Mk13 fighter.
- UKAEA Aldermaston, medical electronics division.
- Universal Parking Ltd; I developed the first,
electronic Pay and
Display ticket machines to go into production in this
country. (Sorry, it was my fault!)
Drawing Office Manager / Mechanical Designer /
Electrical Engineering / Field Troubleshooting
- Mobile trailer generator with floodlighting equipment.
Sales Engineer / Area Sales Manager / Franchise Manager, Staff Training and second-line
Technical Support, Technical
- Microprocessor development systems, (Jermyn
- Pay and Display ticket machines, (Universal Parking
Ltd and Thorn EMI Autopayment).
- Car park automatic control systems.
- Leisure management computer systems, (Torex
- Ticketing systems, (Almex Control Systems).
- Touch screen retail systems.
- (I got my O.U. Management Diploma during this
Software Product and QA Manager (Torex Leisure)
- Turn-key, Leisure Management computer systems
- Software Usability testing and improvement
- Software Quality testing
- Software Help Guides
- Sales support.
One of my roles during the decade 1990-2000 was to write manuals
for the companies that I worked for. I had the knack of
explaining things to people who didn't know.
2000: In 2000,
I was made redundant, which was the best career move that
I had ever made! ... I started my own Technical Authoring
business, and my first client was Quota Leisure Systems in
Australia. They sent me their software over the internet,
and then I sent them the completed Help Guides.
These Help Guides were significant in winning them a
$200,000 order: Quota said that the customer threw out a
substantial, 2-year-old system that was difficult to use
because the documentation was so poor. They really liked my Help
Guides, so that's what clinched the order.
2002: Business was going well, so I set up
Authorgraphic Ltd. In 2017 when I retired, it was still going
strong, with 170+ clients across 11 countries.
Now I'm offering my
Writing Course in the form of a special self-study training
manual. See Home page for a link.